Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Backyard Gardens

Last night, just when I thought I wouldn't have a post for today, I went outside to rake and saw some beautiful flowers in my jungle gardens. I have not tended the gardens very well, except for weeding. They are in big time need of thinning, I think. Isn't there a saying that goes something like, "Doing something wrong is better than doing nothing at all." ?? Can anyone offer me some guidance? The flowers below are,
Lupine (my favorite),

Poppy,

Iris and

Bleeding Heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures! My guidance: Look up each flower on the internet to find out how to thin them and how sparse they should be. Then put what you take out (including tubers/roots) into grocery bags and bring them to Glenville where you can plant them in my garden!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Readers' Digest has a pretty good gardening book that covers lots of flowers and flowers bushes. If I can find mine, you can borrow it.

The Mad Tern said...

I follow your philosophy. I weed like crazy, but if it's a "good" thing (and it rarely is), I have a hard time pulling it out of the ground. Of course, there is no such thing as topsoil on my lots, and nothing grows that thick in my "rocky clay" soil type!

I prune my trees constantly and can never keep up. They are many, and they grow vigorously!